Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Perspective

The other day we took a family road trip to drop off our daughter at an environmental science camp on the eastern shore of MD. This is a trip that takes about an hour and a half. About 40 minutes into the trip I notice this middle age gentleman riding a distinctive motorcycle, about 50 feet ahead of us to the left. He caught my attention because in the middle of this heat wave, he was wearing blue jeans with leather chaps and a white t-shirt with a leather vest. I thought to myself this guy is the personification of my stereotypical image of a Guardian Angel (the motorcycle movement/club).

Seeing this gentleman in itself was not anything special. On the trip to the eastern shore you are bound to see a slew of people riding their bikes to the shore. For some reason however, my attention was drawn to this “rider”. We proceeded to drive to the camp. We stopped for lunch at Denny’s and then finished off the trek by dropping our daughter off around 2:30pm. After dropping her off, we stopped at an outlet mall and upon leaving we stopped for dinner. We resumed the last leg of the journey home around 8pm.

As we approached the Bay Bridge, guess who I saw riding ahead of us once again…You got it. It was the same “rider” that I saw before. I got excited. I leaned over to my wife and told her that this was the same man that I saw earlier and it had to be more than a coincidence that about 7 hours later, with thousands and thousands of vehicles traveling on the road, we ran into Him again. In jest, I told my wife that I think that this “rider” is our guardian angel. My wife was quick to rebut…”That is the difference between you and me. I think that this guy is stalking us” We could do nothing but laugh. We had totally different perspectives.

Perspective is a funny thing. From my perspective I saw a blessing, from my wife’s perspective it was a threat. Perspective shapes how we feel and how we react to things and to others around us. It is key for us to align our perspectives with God’s perspective so that we can react to people and situations as He would.

*What we may perceive as a problem…God may see as an opportunity
*What we may see as a threat…God may see as a form of or way to protect us
*What we may see an a challenge…God may see as a blessing
*What we may see as a burden…God may see as a privilege


It is all about perspective. Do you see things how God sees them or are you continuing to approach your life blinded by your own perspective, which has been shaped and limited to your own experiences? God sits high and looks low. He has the best seat in the house. Why not upgrade your seat and ask God to let you get a glimpse of what He sees as it relates to the situations you face daily.

It is time to start looking at our lives from God’s point of view.

Be Blessed,
B

No comments: