Wednesday, January 1, 2014

So....What's New?


The beginning of a new calendar year means different things to different people.  To some it is a chance to have a “clean slate”, a chance to begin some better habits and correct some wrongs and/or a chance to attempt to leave the pains, cares and worries of the last year behind.  Yet to some it is just another day.  They either keep grinding or the keep whining. 

I typically use this day as one of the days of the year that I choose to regroup, to reevaluate and to reflect.  I spend a good portion of the day meditating and talking to God.  I thank Him for where He has brought me, thank Him for His present blessings and open my heart and mind to what He has in store for my life in the future.

This morning, as I read a portion of the Creation story in Genesis, three words were branded on my mind as I thought about my life through God’s eyes.  Those words are Provision, Vision and Decision. 

Provision- Genesis (Chapters 1 and 2) gives me a glimpse of how meticulous God is in His provision.  He carefully lays out all that I need in a systematic order to set me up for success.  He didn’t create man without a plan.  He provided those things that were needed for man to sustain and to carry out his mission.  For example, dry land was established before man was on the scene.  Once man was created He also immediately created an environment that could sustain Man’s growth. This lets me know that God is concerned about and makes provision for my needs even before giving me my assignments.  This demonstrates His wisdom and love for me.  As God leads me into various assignments, I will boldly accept them, in faith, knowing that He has equipped me for the journey.  His provisions are sufficient.

Vision-God created me for a purpose and He has carved out a place in “His-Story” for me.  I must commit to working his plan/vision for me.  Many times, God reveals His vision for me through His word and through His Spirit working through me.  As man carried out one of His first assignments of naming the animals, a deeper need surfaced (the need for a companion…woman).  This need was one that only God could fill, but God’s power was only demonstrated after man was obedient in carrying out God’s assignment.  In short, what I’m missing will often be revealed to me as I carry out God’s vision for me, but it just gives Him an opportunity to again demonstrate His Love and Power to me by meeting that need as I serve Him. I must be a trustworthy steward of God’s vision and accept His assignments for me.

Decision-In the face of God’s provision and God’s vision for me, I have to make Decisions.  I must choose to make decisions about the use of my time, my talents and my “treasure” in order to allocate them in a way that is aligned with God’s vision.  I must choose God over my doubts, my sinful habits, my feelings of insecurity, my “wisdom”, my comfort, my “vision”, other people’s plans for me, etc.  I must be in tune with God through His Spirit so that I can make choices that honor Him.

May we all have vision that goes beyond 2014 but also vision that is focused on each day so that we can be ever mindful of God’s provision, His Vision and the necessary Decisions that we must make to take advantage of His provisions and to make His Vision for our lives come to pass.

Be Blessed,
B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thought provoking. Happy New Year! - Carlton

B-More Hitz (Bryant) said...

Thanks for taking time out to read it. Happy New Year to you and the family as well!!!

Be Blessed!!!
B

A Heart of Worship said...

Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

B-More Hitz (Bryant) said...

Thanks A Heart of Worship!

Be Blessed!!!
B