Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's a Bird...It's a Plane

Over the last week or so, I’ve began to take late night swims. These swims are times when I can relax and reflect on the events of the day, but more importantly on what God may have to say to me. Saturday night was one of these nights. I got into the pool around 12 midnight after a long day working in the yard and completing various tasks. I started this welcomed downtime as I usually do, by swimming a couple of laps and then just floating on my back. I usually just close my eyes a drift, but for some reason, something told me to look up (I think it was the fact that I had been listening to Dave Hollister’s new gospel album and one of the songs was entitled “Look UP”). Anyway…

I nonchalantly looked up into the cloud filled sky and immediately my attention was drawn to what appeared to be a face hovering above me in the sky. At first I brushed it off. I stopped floating, stood still in the water, rubbed my eyes and then looked to the sky again. Sure enough because of the clouds in the sky only two stars could be seen and these stars appeared to be the eyes that were part of a face. I was immediately struck with a reverential fear as I dropped to my knees and began to give glory to God. While I know that this was not the face of God (don’t be alarmed…I don’t worship clouds or stars), I knew that this experience was being orchestrated by the Great Composer (God…himself). All I could think about was how awesome God is and how even though He is the Master of the Universe, He takes time to keep an eye on little old me.

Encountering the reality of God is a humbling experience. When you realize how awesome He is in relation to how finite we you are, the natural response is to drop to your knees and to praise Him. Does God really have to do anything else to warrant your praise? Open your eyes and embrace His presence all around you. The evidence of His existence is all around us. Man is truly without excuse, when it comes to acknowledging God.

I urge you to ask God to open your eyes so that you can experience and witness how awesome He is. I guarantee you that in almost all cases, He is not going reveal Himself in a dramatic or miraculous way. I believe that He will touch your eyes so that you can see the reality of Him working in various aspects of your life. It is not that He isn’t there, or wasn’t there all the time…it is just that you didn’t recognize Him.

It’s time to “Look Up”

Be Blessed,
B

No comments: