Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Fog

This morning I woke up around 4:30AM to get some things done for work. As I looked out the large window in the front of my house I was amazed at the density of the fog that had blanketed the neighborhood. I could barely make out anything beyond the reach of my driveway. My spirit dropped a bit as I was looking forward to a gorgeous and sun-drenched day, but based on what I could see…this was not going to be “that” day.

I am not a big fan of fog…especially driving in the fog. Navigating in the fog definitely presents it challenges. I am without doubt more alert when driving in the fog, given that visibility is diminished so it is often difficult to see potential hazards in the road ahead. It also amazes me when I see people switch to their high beams when driving in the fog. If it wasn’t bad enough that they teach you in driving school to not do this, it also becomes painfully obvious because the wall of fog appears to move closer to you once you activate your car’s high beams. Nevertheless some people have to do things their way.

When I think about fog, I remember back in elementary school when one of my teachers described fog as “cotton balls falling from the sky and floating just above the ground” (yes… I attended Baltimore City Public Schools and I’m proud of it J ). A more appropriate/grown up definition is: a cloudlike mass or layer of minute water droplets or ice crystals near the surface of the earth, appreciably reducing visibility (Dictionary.com).

Fog not only exists in the external environment, it also exists in the human interior. There are many types of fog including:

*Mental Fog- clouds of the mind, that generate confusion or inability or unwillingness to make a sound decisions.
*Emotional Fog- clouds of the heart that impact relationships with others and self acceptance
*Spiritual Fog- clouds of the soul that hinders us from seeing God, His plans and His love for us


Many of us have experienced one or more of these “fogs” at one point in our lives. In fact some of you may be under a “cotton ball” right now. I am a witness that the light of God through His truth, power and love can lift you up out of darkness and into His Light, so that you can see clearly though the “fogs” of life. Until the “fog” lifts, God has promised to lead us and to guide us though Faith as we exercise our dependence on Him. While the “fogs” of life don’t always immediately lift, if we trust God, listen to what He is telling us through the “foggy” experience, we will be ever grateful and determined to honor and praise Him when the fog lifts.

What mental fog is causing you to struggle with making a “tough” decision? What Emotion fog is hindering you from loving others and your self with “reckless abandon”? What spiritual Fog is causing you to doubt that God Loves you?

A funny thing happen today…what started as a gloomy day dominated by fog, turned out to be a gloriously beautiful day once the fog dissipated. In reality this beautiful and sunny day was there all of the time, but the fog clouded our view of it. It was not until the fog lifted that we were able to experience the warmth and beauty of the Sun. I urge you today to trust in God through your fog so that you can experience the warmth and beauty of the Love of God.

Be Blessed,
B

No comments: