Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Arm the Alarm

This weekend my family and I visited Boscov's going out of business sale. We picked up several items (mostly games to add to our vast collection of family oriented games). We also allowed the kids to pick up 1 item a piece. My daughter picked out a board game about the whole mall/shopping experience and my son selected a laser based security system.

Both of the kids really seemed pleased with their selections, but I noticed that my son was obsessed with is new "spy gear". He opened it up almost immediately upon our arrival home and began to press me to assist him with setting it up. He wanted to make sure that his room, which held his most prized assets (toys, bank, football posters and of course his Nintendo DS) were adequately protected from the members of his loving family and any other unwanted guests that might try to “loot”. The next morning, we eventually set it up and as a test, I went into his room to test it after he went to sleep. I tripped the alarm but the sound of the alarm didn't even cause him to flinch.

This failed test made me think about the safeguards that I have guarding my most valuable assets...my mind, my heart and my soul. This caused me to reflect on David (in the Bible). David spoke many times about God being his source of protection. Is there a better security system than God? If you are relying on your own power and might to guard you than you will surely find yourself just like my sleeping son...caught off guard and at the mercy of unwanted “guests”

Satan and this world constantly attack our minds and our hearts and if we are not prepared and don't have the proper security measures in place we will fall and become spiritual casualties.

Take time today and everyday to arm your spiritual "ADT" alarm systems so that when the enemy tries to invade your home you can cause him to flee through the power of God. Moreover guarding your heart and mind, is like putting an ADT sign in your yard so that some enemies won't even attempt to attack you for they will see who is protecting your "home", and will realize that their attempts to invade are pointless. Arm your hearts and minds by spending quality time with the Father and by asking him to guard your "home" through His Spirit and the power of His Word.

You have the best security system and equipment known to mankind at your disposal, but it is useless unless you turn the alarm on.

Are you secure?...or as my wife asks me almost every night as soon as I find my comfy spot in the bed…”Did you set the alarm?” (I always wonder why she never seems to remember to ask that question before I lay down for the night)

Be Blessed,
B

No comments: